This page provides information about the use of personal information provided by job applicants to The College of New Jersey.
1. What is ‘personal information’?
‘Personal information’ means any information which relates to or identifies you as an individual.
2. Who will process my personal information?
The information provided here applies to the use, sharing and disclosure of your personal information by The College of New Jersey as part of its employment application process.
3. What personal information will be processed?
The College will use the details you provide on your application form, together with the supporting documents requested and additional details provided by any references and recorded following any interview process.
If you are required to undergo certain additional recruitment checks or procedures as part of the job application and offer process (e.g. criminal convictions checks or visa application procedures), we will use this information as described at Background Check Privacy Notice.
4. What is the purpose and legal basis of the processing?
The College will process the personal information provided on your application and the other information referred to above for the purposes of identifying you, processing your application, verifying the information provided and assessing your suitability for the role, deciding whether to offer you a job, and communicating that outcome (together with any feedback).
We may also use or disclose the information provided for the following statutory or public interest purposes:
- To prevent or detect fraud.
- For equal opportunities monitoring.
- To help us to make reasonable accommodations for any disability, as requested by you.
- For research and statistical purposes, but no information which could identify you will be published.
If you are a current employee, then we may use the information you provide in any application you submit to update the employment records we already hold on you.
We consider the processing of your personal information for the above purposes to be either necessary for us to take steps with a view to creating a contractual relationship with you (e.g. to assess your application for employment with us), or necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (e.g. equal opportunities monitoring). We will also seek your consent to lawfully process the information you provide during the application process. We require you to provide us with the information we ask for during the application process in order to assess your application properly except where its supply is marked as optional. Applications decisions are not automated.
5. Who will my personal information be shared with?
As well as circulating your application and related materials to the appropriate staff at the College, we will share your personal information for the above purposes as relevant and necessary with:
- Your references.
- Where relevant and necessary, any College(s) you may become connected to.
- Where relevant and as required, government or regulatory bodies to administer relevant recruitment checks and immigration procedures.
- Companies or organizations providing specific services to, or on behalf of, the College.
6. How is my personal information used if I become a member of staff?
If you are accepted, we will use your personal information for the purposes described at Human Resources (General) – Privacy Notice, as amended from time to time.
7. How can I access my personal information?
You have the right to access the personal information that is held about you by the College. Further details are set out on the College’s Privacy Office webpage.
8. How long is my information kept?
We store your personal information for as long as necessary to complete the application process. If you are successfully hired at the conclusion of the application process, your information will be kept as part of your staff record for the duration of your employment. If you do not become an employee of the College, your information collected through the application process will generally be retained for one year after the completion of the application process. Information about how long different types of information are retained by the College, as required by New Jersey, USA, state law is published at http://www.nj.gov/treasury/revenue/rms/retention.shtml
9. Who can I contact?
If you have any questions about how your personal information is used, or wish to exercise any of your rights, please consult the College’s Privacy Office webpage. If you need further assistance, please contact the College’s Privacy Officer at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
10. Are changes made to this webpage?
This webpage was last updated in May 2018. It is reviewed when necessary and at least annually. Any changes will be published here.