This notice provides information about the use of personal information provided by student applicants to The College of New Jersey.
1. What is ‘personal information’?
‘Personal information’ means any information which relates to or identifies you as an individual.
2. Who will process my personal information?
The information provided here applies to the use, sharing and disclosure of your personal information by The College of New Jersey as part of the admissions process.
3. What personal information will be processed?
For applicants to undergraduate degree courses:
The College will use the details you provide on your application together with the supplemental documents requested and additional details provided by any references and/or information documented following any interview process.
For applicants to graduate degree or non-degree programs, or for non-matriculants and visiting students:
The College will use the details you provide on your application form or registration request form, together with the supplemental documents requested (including but not limited to testing agencies, credential evaluation agencies, etc.) and additional details provided by any references and/or information documented following any interview process.
4. What is the purpose and legal basis of the processing?
The College will process the personal information provided on your application and the other information referred to above for the purposes of identifying you, processing your application, verifying the information provided, deciding whether to offer you a place for enrollment at the College, and communicating that outcome (together with any feedback).
We may also use or disclose the information provided for the following statutory or public interest purposes:
- To prevent or detect fraud.
- For equal opportunities monitoring.
- To help us to make reasonable accommodations for any disability, as requested by you.
- To allow us to consider any future accommodation requirements.
- For research and statistical purposes, but no information which could identify you will be published.
We consider the processing of your personal information for the above purposes to be either necessary for us to take steps with a view to creating a contractual relationship with you (e.g. to assess your application to study with us), or necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (e.g. equal opportunities monitoring). We require you to provide us with the information we ask for during the application process in order to assess your application properly except where its supply is marked as optional. Admissions decisions are not automated.
5. Who will my personal information be shared with?
As well as circulating your application and related materials to the appropriate staff and faculty at the College, we will share your personal information for the purposes in Section 4. as relevant and necessary with:
- Your references.
- Your current or past school/college and/or employer.
- Your examination boards or awarding bodies.
- Your third party financial providers and/or potential providers.
- In the case of international applicants, appropriate governmental agencies, including where relevant for visa purposes.
- Other Higher Education institutions, in order to assist with tracking and research into access to Higher Education.
- Organizations providing specific services to, or on behalf of, the College, including academic partners (e.g., Regional Training Center).
6. How is my personal information used if I am accepted?
If you are accepted, we will use your personal information for the purposes described at Student Data (General) – Privacy Notice.
If you are accepted, the College will also return data about you to external agencies and funding bodies, as required.
7. How can I access my personal information?
You have the right to access the personal information that is held about you by the College. Further details are set out on the College’s Privacy Office webpage.
8. How long is my information kept?
We store your personal information for as long as necessary to complete the application process. If you are successful, your information will be kept as part of your student record for the duration of your studies (and it may be used as part of our assessment of any future application you make for further studies at the College). Information about how long different types of information are retained by the College, as required by New Jersey, USA, state law is published at http://www.nj.gov/treasury/revenue/rms/retention.shtml.
9. Who can I contact?
If you have any questions about how your personal information is used, or wish to exercise any of your rights, please consult the College’s Privacy Office webpage. If you need further assistance, please contact the College’s Privacy Officer at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
10. Are changes made to this webpage?
This webpage was last updated in May, 2018. It is reviewed when necessary and at least annually. Any changes will be published here.